Scientists with the Carnegie Institutions’s Department of Global Ecology at Stanford University and the University of Montana analyzed temperature, reflectivity, and evapotranspiration from satellite data across 733,000 square miles—an area larger than the state of Alaska. They found converting from natural cerrado grassland vegetation to crop/pasture on average triggered warming of 2.79 °F (1.55 °C), but that subsequent conversion to sugarcane, cooled the surrounding air by an average of 1.67 °F (0.93°C).
“We found that shifting from natural vegetation to crops or pasture results in local warming because the plants give off less beneficial water. But the bamboo-like sugarcane is more reflective and gives off more water—much like the natural vegetation,” said Carnegie’s Scott Loarie, lead author of the research. “It’s a potential win-win for the climate—using sugarcane to power vehicles reduces carbon emissions, while growing it lowers the local air temperature.”
- That Sound Is Churchill Turning In His Grave
- 1954-1955 : Five Major Hurricanes Struck The US In 14 Months
- Greenland Reaches A Tipping Point
- What If Grover Cleveland’s Hurricanes Happened Now?
- When Seconds Count, Police Are Just 20 Minutes Away
- Five Months After Sandy Hook – Not A Peep Out Of Obama About School Security
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner Has Been Killing American Citizens By Remote Control
- Quick Note To President Obama
- 1975 : Deep Dips In The Jet Stream Were Blamed On Global Cooling
- My Interest Is Ending Junk Science
- Piers Morgan Brags That Brits Don’t Have Guns And Can’t Defend Themselves
- Climate Science Is In The Crapper
- 1000 Km/Hr Winds From A Nuclear Bomb
- NOAA : Thirty Deadliest Tornado Years All Occurred Below 350 PPM
- Stunning CO2 Breakthrough : Age Of The US Controlled By Atmospheric CO2
- Bill Maher Vying To Replace Harold Camping
- Global Warming Shock News : New Mexico Is Just As Dry As 1904!
- UN Chief Says That The World Is Going To Run Out Of Water
- Obamacare Enforcement Chief Announces That Crimes Were Committed At The IRS
- A Tough Year For Climate Alarmists
- The New Normal : Ugly Junk Science
- Barbara Boxer Forecasts Summer Snow, Heat And Tornadoes
- Holder Wasn’t The Only Gun Runner In The White House
- Hasn’t Obama Overturned The Fifth Amendment Yet?
- 1927 Tornado Killed Scores Of People, Destroyed Thousands Of Homes In St. Louis
stevengoddard on That Sound Is Churchill Turnin… Bill S on That Sound Is Churchill Turnin… redc1c4 on When Seconds Count, Police Are… kbray in california on Greenland Reaches A Tipping… stevengoddard on 1975 : Tornado Outbreaks Blame… An Inquirer on 1975 : Tornado Outbreaks Blame… miked1947 on My Interest Is Ending Junk… miked1947 on My Interest Is Ending Junk… whatthedan on 1975 : Tornado Outbreaks Blame… miked1947 on 1000 Km/Hr Winds From A Nuclea…