The Senate’s top watchdog on government waste, in a new report Thursday, said taxpayer money has gone to fund such programs as Jell-O wrestling at the South Pole, testing shrimp’s exercise ability on a treadmill and a laundry-folding robot, all funded by the National Science Foundation.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, said he identified more than $3 billion in mismanagement at NSF, ranging from questionable studies to exorbitant operating costs, and in some cases duplication by the science agency of operations performed by other agencies.
At a time when the federal government is struggling with record deficits and bumping up against its borrowing limit, Mr. Coburn said the agency is a prime example of the kinds of spending taxpayers should no longer tolerate.
“There is little, if any, obvious scientific benefit to some NSF projects, such as a YouTube rap video, a review of event ticket prices on stubhub.com, a ‘robot hoedown and rodeo,’ or a virtual recreation of the 1964/65 New York World’s Fair,” Mr. Coburn said in a letter to taxpayers he wrote introducing the 73-page report, documented by more than 350 footnotes.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Second Coldest Winter On Record In The Midwest
- Hostage Rescue Attempt Fails
- Coolest Summer On Record In The Midwest
- Imagine! A World Without Fossil Fuels
- Thermometers Show That The US Has Been Cooling For Nearly A Century
- Hope And Change Update
- Reggie At Work!
- US Has Had The Fewest 90 Degree Days, And The Fifth Most 0 Degree Days In 2014
- Michigan Has Had Both Their Coldest Winter And Summer On Record This Year
- Predictions Don’t Get Worse Than This
- More Fine GISS Handiwork In The Arctic
- Understanding The Hiatus
- ISIS Appears : IRS Disappears – Benghazi Disappears – Immigration Disappears
- Nothing To See Here – Move Along
- Hiding The Decline In Greenland
- 1976 : New York Times Debunked The Entire Climate Change Scam In One Paragraph
- NASA – Erasing The Arctic Past
- Arctic Is Screaming At Mark
- Understanding Progressive Math
- Arctic Melt Season Almost Over
- Ban High Capacity Dinosaurs
- “It Is Not A Black Vs. White Problem”
- Our Amazing New Store
- Something To Look Forward To
- Begonia Update
catweazle666 on Predictions Don’t Get Wo… catweazle666 on Predictions Don’t Get Wo… EternalOptimist on Hope And Change Update Josik on More Fine GISS Handiwork In Th… Ed Martin on Hope And Change Update stevengoddard on Predictions Don’t Get Wo… matayaya on Predictions Don’t Get Wo… Jimbo on “It Is Not A Black Vs. W… Shazaam on Second Coldest Winter On Recor… Ed Martin on Hope And Change Update