The Senate’s top watchdog on government waste, in a new report Thursday, said taxpayer money has gone to fund such programs as Jell-O wrestling at the South Pole, testing shrimp’s exercise ability on a treadmill and a laundry-folding robot, all funded by the National Science Foundation.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, said he identified more than $3 billion in mismanagement at NSF, ranging from questionable studies to exorbitant operating costs, and in some cases duplication by the science agency of operations performed by other agencies.
At a time when the federal government is struggling with record deficits and bumping up against its borrowing limit, Mr. Coburn said the agency is a prime example of the kinds of spending taxpayers should no longer tolerate.
“There is little, if any, obvious scientific benefit to some NSF projects, such as a YouTube rap video, a review of event ticket prices on stubhub.com, a ‘robot hoedown and rodeo,’ or a virtual recreation of the 1964/65 New York World’s Fair,” Mr. Coburn said in a letter to taxpayers he wrote introducing the 73-page report, documented by more than 350 footnotes.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- The Most Impressive Hockey Stick
- The Primary Driver Of Climate
- NOAA Data Tampering – Always Worse Than It Seems
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Unchanged For Several Days
- Climate Science Explained In One Simple Graph
- Last Weekend In DC
- Shock News : Arctic Sea Ice Has Grown By 63% Since 2012
- Democrats Take Stupid To An Entirely New Level
- Just For Grins, NASA Created An Additional Hockey Stick Of Tampering Since 2012
- Nothing To See Here – Move Along
- Putting Things In Perspective
- No Hesitation : Ohio Police Murder Wal-Mart Shopper
- Massive Reduction In US Drought Over The Past 80 Years
- Evil Denier Vs. Climate Hero
- Understanding Karma
- General Warrants
- More Evidence That Time Began In 1979
- Frequency Of 40ºC Days Plummeting Over The Past Century
- Young Dreamer Update
- Arctic Sea Ice Area Up 54% From 2012 – Up 5% From 2013
- What Will Be Their Excuse This Year?
- Arctic Melt Season Has Stopped, For Now
- The Northwest Passage Would Be Open, Except That It Is Blocked With Ice
- Washington Post : Koch Brothers Controlling The Climate Again
- Scientists Say To Ignore What They Predicted Last Time
Scarface on The Most Impressive Hockey… Ed Martin on The Primary Driver Of Cli… mjc on Just For Grins, NASA Created A… Mat Helm on The Primary Driver Of Cli… Sparks on Shock News : Arctic Sea Ice Ha… inMAGICn on The Primary Driver Of Cli… David A on Arctic Sea Ice Extent Unchange… David A on Arctic Sea Ice Extent Unchange… Mat Helm on The Primary Driver Of Cli… stewart pid on Arctic Sea Ice Extent Unchange…