The Senate’s top watchdog on government waste, in a new report Thursday, said taxpayer money has gone to fund such programs as Jell-O wrestling at the South Pole, testing shrimp’s exercise ability on a treadmill and a laundry-folding robot, all funded by the National Science Foundation.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, said he identified more than $3 billion in mismanagement at NSF, ranging from questionable studies to exorbitant operating costs, and in some cases duplication by the science agency of operations performed by other agencies.
At a time when the federal government is struggling with record deficits and bumping up against its borrowing limit, Mr. Coburn said the agency is a prime example of the kinds of spending taxpayers should no longer tolerate.
“There is little, if any, obvious scientific benefit to some NSF projects, such as a YouTube rap video, a review of event ticket prices on stubhub.com, a ‘robot hoedown and rodeo,’ or a virtual recreation of the 1964/65 New York World’s Fair,” Mr. Coburn said in a letter to taxpayers he wrote introducing the 73-page report, documented by more than 350 footnotes.
- Great Lakes Set Mid-March Ice Cover Record
- March 11, 1888 Snowstorm In New York
- Climate Experts Say That Drought Is Getting Worse
- Dems Filibustering The Weather
- Removing The Blip
- 95% Of Australia Is Drought Free
- 1912 : Experts Wanted To Melt The North Pole – To Improve Earth’s Climate
- During The Non-Existent MWP, There Were No Glaciers In Europe
- License Hands And Feet
- New Research Shows That The Climate Anticipates CO2
- Green Energy Is Blossoming In Europe
- When They Removed The 1940′s Blip, Did They Put The Ice Back?
- The Missing Heat Has Sunk To The Bottom Of Lake Superior
- Almost Five Months Since Scientists Announced That Global Warming Has Overheated Lake Superior
- Sarah Palin Explains The State Of Climate Science
- The Great Gun Debate
- Mosher Still Looking For The Mid-Troposphere Cold Spot
- Why We Have A Second Amendment
- 1871: New York Times Complained That Climate Change Made Winter Cold In The South
- 1933 : Australia’s Chief Weather Expert Said That Belief In Climate Change Is An “Error Of Human Memory”
- Planet Doomed By Missing Ice Cube In The Barents Sea
- Consensus Climate Science From The 1930′s
- Sochi Never Had A Chance
- 1911 CAGW Consensus
- 1945 : World’s Climate Changing, Poles Melting, Glaciers Retreating, Rivers Drying Up, Deserts Expanding