The Senate’s top watchdog on government waste, in a new report Thursday, said taxpayer money has gone to fund such programs as Jell-O wrestling at the South Pole, testing shrimp’s exercise ability on a treadmill and a laundry-folding robot, all funded by the National Science Foundation.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, said he identified more than $3 billion in mismanagement at NSF, ranging from questionable studies to exorbitant operating costs, and in some cases duplication by the science agency of operations performed by other agencies.
At a time when the federal government is struggling with record deficits and bumping up against its borrowing limit, Mr. Coburn said the agency is a prime example of the kinds of spending taxpayers should no longer tolerate.
“There is little, if any, obvious scientific benefit to some NSF projects, such as a YouTube rap video, a review of event ticket prices on stubhub.com, a ‘robot hoedown and rodeo,’ or a virtual recreation of the 1964/65 New York World’s Fair,” Mr. Coburn said in a letter to taxpayers he wrote introducing the 73-page report, documented by more than 350 footnotes.
- State Of The Climate Report
- Understanding The Polar Vortex
- Arctic Situation Gets More Desperate
- Pellston, Michigan Breaks Their Low Temperature Record By 16 Degrees
- UN Says They Can Slow Non-Existent Warming
- Great Lakes Obliterates All Records For Mid-April Ice
- NOAA Vs. NOAA
- NCDC US March Temperature Data Tampering
- NCDC Blows Away All Records For Data Tampering In Michigan
- 1933 : Before CO2 Ruined The Climate
- After 17 Years Of No Warming, Crack Scientists Determine That We Only Have 15 Years Left
- Climate Experts Locate The Root Of All Evil
- Science Is A Thing Of The Past In Climate Research
- No Change In Arctic Sea Ice Since Al Gore Won His Nobel Prize
- Another Global Warming Theory Bites The Dust
- Our Greatest Prophets
- Nobel Prize Winner Says That The Arctic Will Be Ice Free In Less Than 20 Weeks
- US Having Its Third Consecutive Record Slow Tornado Year
- Still Caught In Their Coldest Winter Ever, Cleveland Editors Want To Stop Global Warming
- 33 Shootings This Weekend In The Gun Control Capital Of The US
- Global Warming In Texas
- Klimate Klux Klan
- Heidi Never Lets Actual Facts Interfere With Her Propaganda
- Gavin Goes For The Gold
- Gaia Is Truly Merciful – Grants Earth A 25 Year Reprieve From Climate Doom
Brian H on After 17 Years Of No Warming,… Brian H on A Peek Inside The Schizophreni… Brian H on 33 Shootings This Weekend In T… Brian H on 1933 : Before CO2 Ruined The… Morgan on State Of The Climate Repo… tom0mason on State Of The Climate Repo… Andy Oz on NCDC Blows Away All Records Fo… Andy Oz on NCDC Blows Away All Records Fo… Andy Oz on State Of The Climate Repo… David A on UN Says They Can Slow Non-Exis…