The Senate’s top watchdog on government waste, in a new report Thursday, said taxpayer money has gone to fund such programs as Jell-O wrestling at the South Pole, testing shrimp’s exercise ability on a treadmill and a laundry-folding robot, all funded by the National Science Foundation.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, said he identified more than $3 billion in mismanagement at NSF, ranging from questionable studies to exorbitant operating costs, and in some cases duplication by the science agency of operations performed by other agencies.
At a time when the federal government is struggling with record deficits and bumping up against its borrowing limit, Mr. Coburn said the agency is a prime example of the kinds of spending taxpayers should no longer tolerate.
“There is little, if any, obvious scientific benefit to some NSF projects, such as a YouTube rap video, a review of event ticket prices on stubhub.com, a ‘robot hoedown and rodeo,’ or a virtual recreation of the 1964/65 New York World’s Fair,” Mr. Coburn said in a letter to taxpayers he wrote introducing the 73-page report, documented by more than 350 footnotes.
- 1974 : NCAR Called Global Cooling The “New Norm” And Blamed Climate Disasters On It
- Trapped Mann-Made Heat Bringing Record Christmas Cold To The US
- No One Making Less Than $250,000 Per Year Will Travel On Airplanes
- Climate Genius Suggests That The Arctic Really May Be Ice-Free After All
- Two-Thirds Of New Gun Laws Ease Restrictions
- Boner Speaks About The Strange, Evil Power Of The Tea Party
- Antarctic Ice Retreated 30 Miles Between 1850′s And 1906
- 37% Of Americans Suffering Severe Brain Damage
- Evil Magic At The NRA
- From The Pre-Hansen Junk Science Era : 35th Anniversary Of A Correct Climate Forecast
- One Prominent Magazine Got It Right In 2008
- Nuttercelli Allergic To Actual Data
- Pity The Penguins
- Starbucks Bans Concealed Carry To Protect Their Customers
- With US Pummeled By Record Cold, US Scientists Want To Make It Colder By Blocking Sunlight
- Obama Pays Tribute To Mandela
- Dukakis To Win Election In A Landslide
- At December 2012 Funeral, Obama Mentioned Himself 63 Times
- 1988 : Environment Canada Scientists Predicted 3 Feet Of Sea Level Rise, And 8 Degrees Warming By 2050
- Blondes Have More Fun – During Funeral Ceremonies
- Greenpeace Confuses “Santa” With “Satan”
- Proposed Cultural Exchange
- If You Like Your Doctor, You Can Keep Your Doctor
- “Everybody Loves Obama, Because He Is Black”