In the official photograph, he looked every inch the commander in chief.
Strain etched on his face, Barack Obama watched as the raid to kill Osama bin Laden played out on a television in front of him.
According to a new book, however, the President was not nearly that engaged – and was actually playing golf until 20 minutes before the operation began in earnest.
Only then did he down his clubs and return to the White House to watch what he later trumpeted as a great success of his presidency.
A new book claims the official account was riddled with errors
The claims are from Chuck Pfarrer, a former SEAL team commander, in a book called SEAL Target Geronimo.
He has spoken to several of the men who carried out the operation at Bin Laden’s mansion hideout in Abbottabad, Pakistan, on May 2.
Mr Pfarrer paints a very different picture to the official photo released at the time which shows Mr Obama and advisers huddled round a table in the White House situation room as footage was beamed from a drone 15,000ft above the al-Qaeda leader’s mansion.
Mr Pfarrer says the President’s role was largely inflated and suggests he stayed out on the golf course for so long so he could distance himself in case it went wrong. Mr Pfarrer writes: ‘If this had completely gone south, he was in a position to disavow.’
He says the White House photographs did not show the moment that Bin Laden was killed, but the moment a helicopter went down, which happened after the shooting.
- 10% Of Obama Voters Could Disappear In The Blink Of An Eye
- December 11 Snow Cover Likely A Record For The Date
- 87% Of The US Below Normal Temperature, Over The Last 60 Days
- We Have To Pass The Suck, So That We Can Find Out What Is In It
- Rachel Maddow Claims She Doesn’t Like Bush
- Obamacare Costs Taxpayers $14,000 Per Fake Enrollee
- Interpreter Was Hallucinating
- Mann-Made Global Warming Brings Heaviest Snow To Jerusalem In 60 Years
- Arctic Ice Facing Dangerous Normalcy
- 83% Of The US Below Normal Temperature For The Last 60 Days
- Govt To Probe Fake President
- After The Warmest Third Of The Month, Montana Is Having Their Coldest December On Record
- 1928 : Piltdown Mann
- July, 1934 : 100 Degrees In Alaska
- 1974 : NCAR Called Global Cooling The “New Norm” And Blamed Climate Disasters On It
- Trapped Mann-Made Heat Bringing Record Christmas Cold To The US
- No One Making Less Than $250,000 Per Year Will Travel On Airplanes
- Climate Genius Suggests That The Arctic Really May Be Ice-Free After All
- Two-Thirds Of New Gun Laws Ease Restrictions
- Boner Speaks About The Strange, Evil Power Of The Tea Party
- Antarctic Ice Retreated 30 Miles Between 1850′s And 1906
- 37% Of Americans Suffering Severe Brain Damage
- Evil Magic At The NRA
- From The Pre-Hansen Junk Science Era : 35th Anniversary Of A Correct Climate Forecast
Traitor In Chief on Mann-Made Global Warming Bring… Mike D on Obamacare Costs Taxpayers $14,… Mike D on We Have To Pass The Suck, So T… Eric Simpson on 10% Of Obama Voters Could Disa… Lou on Govt To Probe Fake Presid… Pathway on Rachel Maddow Claims She Doesn… Kepler on 1974 : NCAR Called Global Cool… Andy Oz on From The Pre-Hansen Junk Scien… Andy Oz on From The Pre-Hansen Junk Scien… gofer on Arctic Ice Facing Dangerous…