In the official photograph, he looked every inch the commander in chief.
Strain etched on his face, Barack Obama watched as the raid to kill Osama bin Laden played out on a television in front of him.
According to a new book, however, the President was not nearly that engaged – and was actually playing golf until 20 minutes before the operation began in earnest.
Only then did he down his clubs and return to the White House to watch what he later trumpeted as a great success of his presidency.
A new book claims the official account was riddled with errors
The claims are from Chuck Pfarrer, a former SEAL team commander, in a book called SEAL Target Geronimo.
He has spoken to several of the men who carried out the operation at Bin Laden’s mansion hideout in Abbottabad, Pakistan, on May 2.
Mr Pfarrer paints a very different picture to the official photo released at the time which shows Mr Obama and advisers huddled round a table in the White House situation room as footage was beamed from a drone 15,000ft above the al-Qaeda leader’s mansion.
Mr Pfarrer says the President’s role was largely inflated and suggests he stayed out on the golf course for so long so he could distance himself in case it went wrong. Mr Pfarrer writes: ‘If this had completely gone south, he was in a position to disavow.’
He says the White House photographs did not show the moment that Bin Laden was killed, but the moment a helicopter went down, which happened after the shooting.
- 1912 : Experts Wanted To Melt The North Pole – To Improve Earth’s Climate
- During The Non-Existent MWP, There Were No Glaciers In Europe
- License Hands And Feet
- New Research Shows That The Climate Anticipates CO2
- Green Energy Is Blossoming In Europe
- When They Removed The 1940′s Blip, Did They Put The Ice Back?
- The Missing Heat Has Sunk To The Bottom Of Lake Superior
- Almost Five Months Since Scientists Announced That Global Warming Has Overheated Lake Superior
- Sarah Palin Explains The State Of Climate Science
- The Great Gun Debate
- Mosher Still Looking For The Mid-Troposphere Cold Spot
- Why We Have A Second Amendment
- 1871: New York Times Complained That Climate Change Made Winter Cold In The South
- 1933 : Australia’s Chief Weather Expert Said That Belief In Climate Change Is An “Error Of Human Memory”
- Planet Doomed By Missing Ice Cube In The Barents Sea
- Consensus Climate Science From The 1930′s
- Sochi Never Had A Chance
- 1911 CAGW Consensus
- 1945 : World’s Climate Changing, Poles Melting, Glaciers Retreating, Rivers Drying Up, Deserts Expanding
- Imaginary Climate Change In 1910
- 90 Years Since Global Warming First Wrecked Winter
- Understanding Extreme Weather
- Climate Experts Declare The End Of Skiing
- Without Global Warming, It Would Have Been -33.68 Degrees In Michigan On Tuesday
- Major Archaeological Find In Rome
R. de Haan on 1912 : Experts Wanted To Melt… Justa Joe on Green Energy Is Blossoming In… Hell_is_like_newark on During The Non-Existent MWP, T… Snow White on Planet Doomed By Missing Ice C… Bob Knows on The Missing Heat Has Sunk To T… cg on 1912 : Experts Wanted To Melt… Bob Knows on License Hands And Feet David, UK on The Great Gun Debate Dmh on Planet Doomed By Missing Ice C… wwlee4411 on License Hands And Feet