IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.
He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
Thomas Heyward, Jr.
Thomas Lynch, Jr.
Charles Carroll of Carrollton
Richard Henry Lee
Thomas Nelson, Jr.
Francis Lightfoot Lee
Robert Treat Paine
- Centennial, Colorado Has One Of The Lowest Crime Rates In The US
- As I Predicted Last Week
- If You Like Your Communist President, You Can Keep Your Communist President
- Model T’s / Packards Caused 10 Degrees Of Arctic Warming
- Obamacare Was Better Off When The Website Wasn’t Working
- 1895 : Winter Bush Fires Devastated NSW
- Shock News : Obama Lied About Fires Getting Worse
- No Mass School Shootings In Israel For 40 Years
- NASA Hiding The Decline In US Temperatures
- Romm’s Permanent Southwest Drought Disappears
- Maldives So Worried About Sea Level Rise, That They Are Building A New Airport Next To The Sea
- Greenpeace Takes $25 Million From Big Oil And Gas – Complains About Koch Brothers
- Serreze Continues To Hallucinate
- I Was Insensitive
- Obama Has Doubled The Average Length Of Unemployment – To 37 Weeks
- Shock News : Obama Lied About Syrian Chemical Weapons
- Latest World Class Climate Science
- Dems Pushing For A New Heavyweight Republican Candidate
- Boner Is Actually A Pussy
- New Definition Of Ice-Free
- Seven Months Since The White House Officially Melted The Arctic
- 10% Of Obama Voters Could Disappear In The Blink Of An Eye
- December 11 Snow Cover Likely A Record For The Date
- 87% Of The US Below Normal Temperature, Over The Last 60 Days
- We Have To Pass The Suck, So That We Can Find Out What Is In It
Steve Keohane on As I Predicted Last Week Bruce on 10% Of Obama Voters Could Disa… Alec, aka daffy duck on Serreze Continues To Hall… DJL on Obamacare Was Better Off When… Pathway on Model T’s / Packards Cau… Pathway on Romm’s Permanent Southwe… Ragtag Media on 1895 : Winter Bush Fires Devas… Adam Gallon on No Mass School Shootings In Is… darrylb on Obamacare Was Better Off When… Paul Homewood on Obamacare Was Better Off When…