The Great Storm of 1703 was the most severe storm or natural disaster ever recorded in the southern part of Great Britain. It affected southern England and the English Channel in the Kingdom of Great Britain. A 120-mph (193-km/h) “perfect hurricane”, it started on 24 November, and did not die down until 2 December 1703 (Old Style).
Observers at the time recorded barometric readings as low as 973 millibars (measured by William Derham in South Essex), but it has been suggested that the storm may have deepened to 950 millibars over the Midlands.
At sea, many ships (many returning from helping the King of Spain fight the French in the War of the Spanish Succession) were wrecked, including HMS Resolution at Pevensey and on the Goodwin Sands, HMS Stirling Castle, HMS Northumberland and HMS Restoration, with about 1,500 seamen killed particularly on the Goodwins. Between 8,000 – 15,000 lives were lost overall. The first Eddystone Lighthouse was destroyed on 27 November 1703 (Old Style), killing six occupants, including its builder Henry Winstanley. The number of oak trees lost in the New Forest alone was 4,000.
On the Thames, around 700 ships were heaped together in the Pool of London, the section downstream from London Bridge. HMS Vanguard was wrecked at Chatham. HMS Association was blown from Harwich to Gothenburg in Sweden before way could be made back to England.
In London, the lead roofing was blown off Westminster Abbey and Queen Anne had to shelter in a cellar at St. James’s Palace to avoid collapsing chimneys and part of the roof.
There was extensive and prolonged flooding in the West Country, particularly around Bristol. At Wells, Bishop Richard Kidder was killed when two chimneystacks in the palace fell on the bishop and his wife, asleep in bed. This same storm blew in part of the great west window in Wells Cathedral. Major damage occurred to the south-west tower of Llandaff Cathedral.
A recently discovered contemporary diary written by a witness in rural Worcestershire describes in richly descriptive language the damaging emotional and psychological effects of the storm. The storm, unprecedented in ferocity and duration, was generally reckoned by witnesses to represent the anger of God-—in recognition of the “crying sins of this nation”, the government declared 19 January 1704 a day of fasting, saying it “loudly calls for the deepest and most solemn humiliation of our people”. It remained a frequent topic of moralizing in sermons well into the nineteenth century.
Following the storm’s destruction of the first Eddystone Lighthouse (in which the first architect was lost), John Rudyard was contracted to build the second lighthouse on the site.
- New Evidence Explaining The Demise Of The Neanderthals
- Without Global Warming, It Would Have Been -136.6
- Montana Obliterating Cold Records
- ACA On CPR
- If You Like Your Obamacare, You Can Keep Your Obamacare. Period.
- America’s Most Famous Heisman Trophy Winner
- Gallup Poll Shows That 41% Of Americans Have Difficulty Thinking Clearly
- Learning To Think Like A Progressive
- Ninety Years Ago, All Of The Glaciers In France Disappearing
- 1951 : All Of The World’s Glaciers Melting – Some Have Disappeared
- NOAA Calls For A Warm Winter In The South
- It Will Be A Cold Day In Hell – When The LA Times Tells The Truth
- US Government Goes Completely Off The Rails
- Mann-Made Global Warming Arrives In Colorado
- Climate Morons Blaming Cold On Arctic Melt
- Someone Left The Refrigerator Door Open Again
- If You Like Your Democrats, You Can Keep Your Democrats
- DemoRepublicraps Agree To Scuttle The US
- Learning To Think Like A Climate Genius
- Someone Help These Poor People In Mexico
- Understanding Catastrophic Global Warming
- Q4 2013 Will Be One Of The Coldest On Record In The US
- “Candy, Get The Transcript”
- If You Like Your Junk Science, You Can Keep Your Junk Science
- Science Under The Influence
Eric Simpson on Without Global Warming, It Wou… Colorado Wellington on ACA On CPR R. de Haan on Without Global Warming, It Wou… Justa Joe on Without Global Warming, It Wou… Don on Without Global Warming, It Wou… Larry Fields on New Evidence Explaining The De… Colorado Wellington on US Government Goes Completely… R. de Haan on Without Global Warming, It Wou… GeologyJim on Without Global Warming, It Wou… tom0mason on Without Global Warming, It Wou…