TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?
As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- 40 Years Since The Supreme Court Opened The Door To Tyranny
- The Green Cheese Guys
- Does NPR See The Writing On The Wall?
- Another Video From ICCC 2014
- Shock News : Andy Revkin Says We Face Endless Summer
- Global Warming In Maryland
- Climate Scientists Vs. Actual Scientists
- CO2 Facts Which Will Terrify Any Climate Denier
- Does The Arctic Need To Be Prosecuted?
- First They Came …
- Link To My 2014 ICCC Talk Posted On The Heartland Web Site
- Look For A Drop In Arctic Sea Ice Over The Next Few Days
- Solzhenitsyn In The Gulag – “We Didn’t Love Freedom Enough”
- Heard On DC Talk Radio This Morning
- Refusal To Think
- Conspiracy For Dummies
- Data Tampering With Sea Level
- Shock News : Deranged Blogger Was Correct
- How Quickly They Grow Up
- Coldest July 25 On Record In Westminster, Maryland
- July 22 Global Sea Ice Area Above Normal
- Arctic Sea Ice Reaches Summer Decadal Maximum
- NASA’s Finest Are Climate Skeptics
- Policy Clarification
- Climate Prophet Hansen Says Arctic Will Be Ice-Free By 2013
Gunny G on 40 Years Since The Supreme Cou… Morgan on The Green Cheese Guys Alec, aka daffy duck on Shock News : Andy Revkin Says… nickreality65 on Refusal To Think stevengoddard on Does The Arctic Need To Be… skiphil on Refusal To Think skiphil on Does The Arctic Need To Be… Tom on Does NPR See The Writing On Th… wyoskeptic on Does The Arctic Need To Be… omnologos on The Green Cheese Guys