TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?
As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.
- Quick Note To James Hansen
- 1921 : Earth Had A Fever
- The Consensus Can’t Be Wrong
- 1931 Flood Killed Millions In China
- Shock News : Sea Level Has Risen 120 Metres
- Abnormally Propagandish
- Franny Armstrong Promoting Genocide Against Children Again
- Obama Announces That Terrorism Has Been Defeated
- 400 PPM! We Should Have Listened To The Experts
- Mission Accomplished!
- That New Kind Of Ice, Which Melts at -8C
- Update On The Obama Press Conference
- Another Year Of Flooding On The Poudre
- Sandy Hook Alternate Ending
- The Perfect Father’s Day Gift
- New Summer Bunkerbuster Movie
- Quick Note To President Obama
- Reader Quiz
- Police Snipers Fire Across School Playground And Miss Cow
- 1975 : Climatologists Were Worried That Politicians Wouldn’t Let Them Melt The Arctic In Time To Save The Planet
- Black Helicopters Flying
- 1962 Shock News : Open Water At The North Pole
- Coldest UK Spring In 30 Years
- Obama Hoping To Last Through His Second Term
- Shock News : Oklahoma Tornadoes Not Caused By “Climate Change”