TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?
As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Someone Remind Me Why We Have An IPCC
- President Decides To Scrap The Constitution To Save US From 0.0004 Mole Fraction Of A Harmless Trace Gas
- Climate Change Dementia Is Not A New Problem
- The Ten Best Places To Live In America
- Arctic Sea Ice Continues To Track 2006
- Visualizing The Spectacular Stupidity Of The New York Times
- Frequency Of 100 Degree Days In The US Down 50% Over The Past 90 Years
- Speak Of The Devil …
- Stick A Fork In It
- The New York Times Expects A Water Mountain To Form Off The East Coast
- Jennifer Marohasy Puts BOM On The Chopping Block
- 1986 : World’s Greatest Climatologist Predicted Five Degrees Warming By 2010
- 1986 : “Big League Climatologists” Said We Were Doomed By The Year 2000
- Tampering With Climate Data Is Not A New Problem
- Certain Facts About The Scientific Incompetence Of NASA Are Not In Dispute
- Something Else Which Happened 45 Years Ago
- Northwest Passage Closed For Business
- Progressives Worried About Guns
- In Order To Check A Fact, You Have To Have A Fact To Check
- Arctic Melt Season Just About Done
- How NOAA Data Tampering Destroys Science
- If You Don’t Tamper With The Data, You Can Actually Learn Something About The Climate
- US Major Hurricane Strikes Peaked In The 1950s – Now At An All-Time Record Low
- US Hurricane Frequency Down 29%
- They Should Have Listened To The “Breathtakingly Ignorant Deranged Blogger Second Stupidest Man On The Internet”
Gail Combs on President Decides To Scrap The… Rosco on In Order To Check A Fact, You… Svend Ferdinandsen on President Decides To Scrap The… slcraignbc on Exposing The Original Bir… tom0mason on Speak Of The Devil … Robertv on Speak Of The Devil … Gail Combs on Exposing The Original Bir… rah on Exposing The Original Bir… Gail Combs on Exposing The Original Bir… rah on Exposing The Original Bir…