TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?
As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.
- Republicans Have Been Causing Deadly Tornadoes For Over 120 Years
- Latest Lake Erie Ice On Record
- Before Your SUV Ruined The Climate, Tornadoes Killed Thousands Of People
- Unprecedented Low Tornado Activity Continues
- Leading Scientist Warns Of Five Meters Sea Level Rise By 2028
- 1921 – Global Warming And Drought Caused Avalanches, Glacial Melt, And Snake Bites
- 1919 – Big Oil Saved West Texas Farmers From Disastrous Climate Change
- 100 Years Since Crack Scientists Warned Of Great Climatic Change And World Wide Drought
- 97% Of Experts Say That The Poles Are Melting Down
- Only 86 Degrees Of Warming Needed To Start The Greenland Meltdown
- And Four Days Later …..
- Easter Sunday Tornado Of 1913
- Another Nevada Rancher Targeted For Ruin By The BLM Storm Troopers
- 5.8 Degrees Of Data Tampering In Oregon
- Minnesota Having Its Coldest Start To The Year On Record
- Feynman Explained That Belief In Settled Science Is The End Of Hope And Progress
- Where Does Musical Genius Come From?
- Understanding Progressives
- Troops Dealing With A Domestic Terrorism Problem During The 1930s
- A Different View Of Extreme Weather From 1975
- A Hockey Stick Of Data Tampering In Illinois
- Understanding Domestic Terror
- King George III – October 27, 1775
- 1896 Tornado Wrecked 8,500 Buildings In St. Louis
- Before CO2 Wrecked The Climate, A 1925 Tornado Killed 900 People In Three States