TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?
As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Global Warming Makes English Birds Afraid To Get Their Feet Wet
- Demand Civility
- Smoking Gun That The NCDC TOBS Adjustment Is Fraudulent
- More On The Record US Cold
- 18% Growth Of One Meter Thick Arctic Ice Since 2012
- The Death Spiral Of Mark Serreze’ Arctic Propaganda Continues
- White House Plans To Grant Citizenship To All Mexican Drug Lords, And Considers Farmers To Be Terrorists
- July 1916 – US Hit By Two Major Hurricanes Within Ten Days
- The Collapse Of The Roman Empire Is The Story Of America In 2014
- Nobel Prize Winner Says The Earth’s Crust Is Millions Of Degrees
- Discussing Faith
- Nobel Prize Winner Says The Arctic Will Be Ice Free In A Few Weeks
- Helping The Middle Class By Making Electricity Prices Skyrocket
- You Didn’t Build That
- Put The Parents In Jail – Do It For The Kids
- No More Spying On Citizens Who Aren’t Suspected Of A Crime
- Raising The Debt Ceiling Is Unpatriotic
- I’m Not Going To Take Your Rifle Away
- If You Make Less Than $250,000 You Won’t See Any Form Of Tax Increase
- If You Like Your Plan, You Can Keep Your Plan. Period
- Candidate Obama : Against Gay Marriage – Should Be Up To The States
- No Change In Arctic Sea Ice Over The Past 40 Years
- My Arctic Forecast
- Deranged Progressives Threaten Civilization
- Scientists Say Arctic To Be Ice Free Between 1979 And 2004
Gail Combs on July 1916 – US Hit By Tw… Shazaam on The Collapse Of The Roman Empi… gator69 on Smoking Gun That The NCDC TOBS… Otter (ClimateOtter… on The Death Spiral Of Mark Serre… Gail Combs on Coolest Summer On Record In Th… _Jim on The Collapse Of The Roman Empi… Gail Combs on Coolest Summer On Record In Th… There Is No Substitu… on Demand Civility Gail Combs on Coolest Summer On Record In Th… geran on Coolest Summer On Record In Th…