OCT 23, 2001
While doing research 12 or 13 years ago, I met Jim Hansen, the scientist who in 1988 predicted the greenhouse effect before Congress. I went over to the window with him and looked out on Broadway in New York City and said, “If what you’re saying about the greenhouse effect is true, is anything going to look different down there in 20 years?” He looked for a while and was quiet and didn’t say anything for a couple seconds. Then he said, “Well, there will be more traffic.” I, of course, didn’t think he heard the question right. Then he explained, “The West Side Highway will be under water. And there will be tape across the windows across the street because of high winds. And the same birds won’t be there. The trees in the median strip will change.” Then he said, “There will be more police cars.” Why? “Well, you know what happens to crime when the heat goes up.”
When did he say this will happen?
Within 20 or 30 years. And remember we had this conversation in 1988 or 1989.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Climate Math : Almost All Locations Are Below The Mean
- Deranged Blogger Predicts A High Arctic Minimum This Summer
- The Largest Fire In US History Occurred In Washington – During The Coldest Year Ever
- Hot Weather In The US Peaked At 310 PPM CO2
- US Is Having One Of Its Coolest Summers On Record
- Summer Of 1936 Obliterated All Other Summers For Record Heat
- More Than 20% Of US All Time Temperature Records Were Set During The Summer Of 1936
- The Polar Vortex Excuse
- Chicago Is More Than 30 Degrees Colder Than 80 Years Ago
- During The Heatwave Of 1936, Two Thirds Of The US Was Over 100 Degrees
- Midwest Is Twenty Degrees Colder Than July 1936
- During This Week In 1936, Americans Were Dying From The Heat Every Minute
- Arctic Approaches Ten Year Summer Sea Ice Maximum
- Illinois Two Coldest July’s Have Been In The Past Five Years
- Great Forecasting Moments At The Met Office
- 40 Years Later, Hope Springs Eternal
- Criminal Science Update
- No Change In Arctic Sea Ice Extent Over The Past Two Days
- Just Like In That Movie …
- Frequency Of Hot Days In The Midwest Plummeting And Lowest On Record
- Midwest US Having Its Coldest Year On Record
- GIStemp – who needs Antarctic data or temps near ice.
- Before Michael Mann Erased It, Even The New York Times Knew That The MWP Was Warmer
- Latest From NOAA’s Hottest Year Ever
- Climate Flees The Arctic And Moves To California
_Jim on Deranged Blogger Predicts A Hi… Dmh on Arctic Approaches Ten Year Sum… _Jim on Deranged Blogger Predicts A Hi… Gamecock on Deranged Blogger Predicts A Hi… Latitude on Deranged Blogger Predicts A Hi… _Jim on Deranged Blogger Predicts A Hi… doug Proctor on Arctic Approaches Ten Year Sum… philjourdan on More USHCN Raw Temperature… njsnowfan on Deranged Blogger Predicts A Hi… Gamecock on Deranged Blogger Predicts A Hi…