OCT 23, 2001
While doing research 12 or 13 years ago, I met Jim Hansen, the scientist who in 1988 predicted the greenhouse effect before Congress. I went over to the window with him and looked out on Broadway in New York City and said, “If what you’re saying about the greenhouse effect is true, is anything going to look different down there in 20 years?” He looked for a while and was quiet and didn’t say anything for a couple seconds. Then he said, “Well, there will be more traffic.” I, of course, didn’t think he heard the question right. Then he explained, “The West Side Highway will be under water. And there will be tape across the windows across the street because of high winds. And the same birds won’t be there. The trees in the median strip will change.” Then he said, “There will be more police cars.” Why? “Well, you know what happens to crime when the heat goes up.”
When did he say this will happen?
Within 20 or 30 years. And remember we had this conversation in 1988 or 1989.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Understanding The Timeline
- Navajo Message To The Moon
- Turn Off The Idiot Box
- Understanding Mann-Made Climate Change
- Understanding California
- Fewest US Forest Fires In Three Decades
- Thanks, Arnie
- When Did Environmentalists Quit Caring About The Environment?
- Build It, And They Will Come
- President Announces His Unilateral Plan To Save An Unwilling Citizenry From Climate Change
- Nothing To See Here – Move Along
- Today’s Humor
- Progressives – The New Reactionaries
- Checking Up On The Geniuses At The Met Office
- 64% Growth In Arctic Sea Ice Since 2012
- Someone Remind Me Why We Have An IPCC
- President Decides To Scrap The Constitution To Save US From 0.0004 Mole Fraction Of A Harmless Trace Gas
- Climate Change Dementia Is Not A New Problem
- The Ten Best Places To Live In America
- Arctic Sea Ice Continues To Track 2006
- Visualizing The Spectacular Stupidity Of The New York Times
- Frequency Of 100 Degree Days In The US Down 50% Over The Past 90 Years
- Speak Of The Devil …
- Stick A Fork In It
- The New York Times Expects A Water Mountain To Form Off The East Coast
Caleb on 64% Growth In Arctic Sea Ice S… Morgan Wright on Understanding Mann-Made Climat… MrX on Nothing To See Here – Mo… Bob Knows on When Did Environmentalists Qui… Bob Knows on Turn Off The Idiot Box slcraignbc on Exposing The Original Bir… geran on Understanding The Timeline omanuel on Understanding The Timeline Michael E. Newton on Understanding The Timeline Robertv on Understanding Mann-Made Climat…