Douglas Carswell’s Blog
I was wrong about the Climate Change Act
My biggest regret as an MP is that I failed to oppose the 2008 Climate Change Act. It was a mistake. I am sorry.
On the very day the Labour government passed this fatuous attempt to “stop global warming”, it was, if I remember rightly, snowing. Had I opposed the Bill, it wouldn’t have made much difference, but I feel I should have known better.
Unlike much of the gesture legislation that goes through Parliament, this law has turned out to have real consequences. The Climate Change Act has pushed up energy prices, squeezing households and making economic recovery ever more elusive.
The aim of the Climate Change Act was to create a low carbon economy. I fear the Act will do that, but perhaps not the way intended. The Climate Change Act is giving us a low carbon economy the way that pre-industrial Britain had a low carbon economy.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- More Than 20% Of US All Time Temperature Records Were Set During The Summer Of 1936
- The Polar Vortex Excuse
- Chicago Is More Than 30 Degrees Colder Than 80 Years Ago
- During The Heatwave Of 1936, Two Thirds Of The US Was Over 100 Degrees
- Midwest Is Twenty Degrees Colder Than July 1936
- During This Week In 1936, Americans Were Dying From The Heat Every Minute
- Arctic Approaches Ten Year Summer Sea Ice Maximum
- Illinois Two Coldest July’s Have Been In The Past Five Years
- Great Forecasting Moments At The Met Office
- 40 Years Later, Hope Springs Eternal
- Criminal Science Update
- No Change In Arctic Sea Ice Extent Over The Past Two Days
- Just Like In That Movie …
- Frequency Of Hot Days In The Midwest Plummeting And Lowest On Record
- Midwest US Having Its Coldest Year On Record
- GIStemp – who needs Antarctic data or temps near ice.
- Before Michael Mann Erased It, Even The New York Times Knew That The MWP Was Warmer
- Latest From NOAA’s Hottest Year Ever
- Climate Flees The Arctic And Moves To California
- Climate Experts Tell Us That Greenland Is Melting Down At -18C
- There Was Never Any Question That The MWP And LIA Were Real
- Scientists Recycle The Same Climate Crap, Generation After Generation
- 1923 : Radical Change Of Climate – Unheard Of High Temperatures – Glaciers Vanished
- Greenland Was Much Warmer During The MWP
- For Most Of Earth’s History, The Poles Were Very Warm