Douglas Carswell’s Blog
I was wrong about the Climate Change Act
My biggest regret as an MP is that I failed to oppose the 2008 Climate Change Act. It was a mistake. I am sorry.
On the very day the Labour government passed this fatuous attempt to “stop global warming”, it was, if I remember rightly, snowing. Had I opposed the Bill, it wouldn’t have made much difference, but I feel I should have known better.
Unlike much of the gesture legislation that goes through Parliament, this law has turned out to have real consequences. The Climate Change Act has pushed up energy prices, squeezing households and making economic recovery ever more elusive.
The aim of the Climate Change Act was to create a low carbon economy. I fear the Act will do that, but perhaps not the way intended. The Climate Change Act is giving us a low carbon economy the way that pre-industrial Britain had a low carbon economy.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Global Warming Makes English Birds Afraid To Get Their Feet Wet
- Demand Civility
- Smoking Gun That The NCDC TOBS Adjustment Is Fraudulent
- More On The Record US Cold
- 18% Growth Of One Meter Thick Arctic Ice Since 2012
- The Death Spiral Of Mark Serreze’ Arctic Propaganda Continues
- White House Plans To Grant Citizenship To All Mexican Drug Lords, And Considers Farmers To Be Terrorists
- July 1916 – US Hit By Two Major Hurricanes Within Ten Days
- The Collapse Of The Roman Empire Is The Story Of America In 2014
- Nobel Prize Winner Says The Earth’s Crust Is Millions Of Degrees
- Discussing Faith
- Nobel Prize Winner Says The Arctic Will Be Ice Free In A Few Weeks
- Helping The Middle Class By Making Electricity Prices Skyrocket
- You Didn’t Build That
- Put The Parents In Jail – Do It For The Kids
- No More Spying On Citizens Who Aren’t Suspected Of A Crime
- Raising The Debt Ceiling Is Unpatriotic
- I’m Not Going To Take Your Rifle Away
- If You Make Less Than $250,000 You Won’t See Any Form Of Tax Increase
- If You Like Your Plan, You Can Keep Your Plan. Period
- Candidate Obama : Against Gay Marriage – Should Be Up To The States
- No Change In Arctic Sea Ice Over The Past 40 Years
- My Arctic Forecast
- Deranged Progressives Threaten Civilization
- Scientists Say Arctic To Be Ice Free Between 1979 And 2004