LOS ANGELES — In a famously left-leaning Hollywood, where Democratic fund-raisers fill the social calendar, Friends of Abe stands out as a conservative group that bucks the prevailing political winds.
A collection of perhaps 1,500 right-leaning players in the entertainment industry, Friends of Abe keeps a low profile and fiercely protects its membership list, to avoid what it presumes would result in a sort of 21st-century blacklist, albeit on the other side of the partisan spectrum.
Now the Internal Revenue Service is reviewing the group’s activities in connection with its application for tax-exempt status. Last week, federal tax authorities presented the group with a 10-point request for detailed information about its meetings with politicians like Paul D. Ryan, Thaddeus McCotter and Herman Cain, among other matters, according to people briefed on the inquiry.
Those people said that the application had been under review for roughly two years, and had at one point included a demand — which was not met — for enhanced access to the group’s security-protected website, which would have revealed member names. Tax experts said that an organization’s membership list is information that would not typically be required. The I.R.S. already had access to the site’s basic levels, a request it considers routine for applications for 501(c)(3) nonprofit status.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Forecasting The Morons
- Supercomputer In A $300 Laptop
- Retreat Of Glaciers In 1939 Revealed Medieval Gold Mines
- “Remarkable Shrinkage” Of Glaciers During Gavin’s Coldest Years Ever
- One Week Since Farrakhan Called For Black People To Murder Police
- Rewriting The Past At The IPCC
- 45 Years Since All Scientists Agreed That Mankind Was Doomed By The Year 2000
- Understanding The Unprecedented Warming Of The 20th Century
- Gavin’s Nature Trick
- Arctic Sea Ice Continues At A Decadal High
- Global Sea Ice Area Is Approaching A Record High For The Date
- If You Can’t Beat Em, Join Em
- Another Busy Day For The President
- Update From Hayhoeville
- 1979 : Experts Warned Of Global Cooling If Antarctic Sea Ice Increased
- Behind The Smokescreen
- Don’t Be Arrogant – Listen To The Experts
- If Only We Had Listened To The Experts In 1986
- An Old Russian Joke In The White House
- 1974 New York Times : Global Cooling Induced Climate Change To Kill Us All
- Walt Meier Still Having Difficulty With Basic Mathematics
- The 0.01 Degree Shell Game
- TOBS Isn’t An Excuse
- The War on Coal Is Really A War On Americans
- NCDC Climate Extremes Index Is Inverted From Reality
Pops on TOBS Isn’t An Excus… Colorado Wellington on Supercomputer In A $300 L… Jack Dale on Arctic Sea Ice Continues At A… Jack Dale on Arctic Sea Ice Continues At A… stevengoddard on Supercomputer In A $300 L… Morgan Wright on Arctic Sea Ice Continues At A… Frank K. on TOBS Isn’t An Excus… Send Al to the Pole on Supercomputer In A $300 L… Don on Supercomputer In A $300 L… Streetcred on One Week Since Farrakhan Calle…