LOS ANGELES — In a famously left-leaning Hollywood, where Democratic fund-raisers fill the social calendar, Friends of Abe stands out as a conservative group that bucks the prevailing political winds.
A collection of perhaps 1,500 right-leaning players in the entertainment industry, Friends of Abe keeps a low profile and fiercely protects its membership list, to avoid what it presumes would result in a sort of 21st-century blacklist, albeit on the other side of the partisan spectrum.
Now the Internal Revenue Service is reviewing the group’s activities in connection with its application for tax-exempt status. Last week, federal tax authorities presented the group with a 10-point request for detailed information about its meetings with politicians like Paul D. Ryan, Thaddeus McCotter and Herman Cain, among other matters, according to people briefed on the inquiry.
Those people said that the application had been under review for roughly two years, and had at one point included a demand — which was not met — for enhanced access to the group’s security-protected website, which would have revealed member names. Tax experts said that an organization’s membership list is information that would not typically be required. The I.R.S. already had access to the site’s basic levels, a request it considers routine for applications for 501(c)(3) nonprofit status.
- Understanding Terrorism
- Harry Reid’s Predecessor Explained The Second Amendment
- Understanding First Amendment Zones
- Skeptics Afraid Of The Data Tampering Story
- More And More Politicians Are Lying About Global Warming
- Great Lakes Ice Nearly Doubles The Previous Record
- 1933 : Before Your SUV Ruined The Climate
- My Solution For Climate Change
- Crack Climate Research
- The Hockey Stick Is Real
- Understanding Workplace Violence
- Global Warming – Without The Warming Part
- US Midwest Having The Coldest Start To The Year On Record
- Life In Green Hell
- 1936 Zane Grey Film About Joining The BLM
- The Progressive View Of Science
- If Greens Have Their Way, We Won’t Have An Environment
- It’s The Global, Stupid
- With The World Falling Apart, White House Is Focused Like A Laser On Rustling An Old Man’s Cattle In Nevada
- Is Methane A Fossil Fuel?
- Different Types Of Officers
- Adding More CO2 Goalkeepers
- My Thoughts On Solar Energy
- 44th Earth Day Celebration
- March Madness In Michigan
Andy DC on More And More Politicians Are… Andy DC on Skeptics Afraid Of The Data Ta… matayaya on Adding More CO2 Goalkeepe… Eric Simpson on Looking For Contract Programmi… Sundance on Harry Reid’s Predecessor… Ron C. on Adding More CO2 Goalkeepe… oldfossil on Looking For Contract Programmi… Anthony S on The Hockey Stick Is Real gator69 on Understanding Terrorism gator69 on Harry Reid’s Predecessor…