Scientists with the Carnegie Institutions’s Department of Global Ecology at Stanford University and the University of Montana analyzed temperature, reflectivity, and evapotranspiration from satellite data across 733,000 square miles—an area larger than the state of Alaska. They found converting from natural cerrado grassland vegetation to crop/pasture on average triggered warming of 2.79 °F (1.55 °C), but that subsequent conversion to sugarcane, cooled the surrounding air by an average of 1.67 °F (0.93°C).
“We found that shifting from natural vegetation to crops or pasture results in local warming because the plants give off less beneficial water. But the bamboo-like sugarcane is more reflective and gives off more water—much like the natural vegetation,” said Carnegie’s Scott Loarie, lead author of the research. “It’s a potential win-win for the climate—using sugarcane to power vehicles reduces carbon emissions, while growing it lowers the local air temperature.”
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Amazing Night
- Propaganda – Not Science
- Coldest March Night Ever?
- Australia Hottest Year Ever Update
- Pea-Brained President Thinks Trains Are Safer Than Pipelines
- Hansen Forecast Update
- Settled Science From 1969
- Keeping Proper Focus
- Begonia Update
- 1947 : Ten Degrees Arctic Warming – Coastal Cities To Drown – Send Money
- 15 Years Since New York Times Declared The North Pole Ice-Free
- We Should Have Listened!
- 30 Years Since Government Experts Predicted New York Would Be Like Florida
- Hockey In Wisconsin
- Global Warming Flees To Las Cruces, NM
- EPA Predicts 11 Feet Of Sea Level Rise
- Last Arctic Ice To Vanish In A Few Weeks
- Hiding The Armadillos
- Settled Science At The EPA
- Learning To Think Like A Democrat
- Settled Religion
- Obama Did More Than He Promised
- The Anti-Science White House
- If Obama Was Serious
- More CO2 And Less War
AndyG55 on Pea-Brained President Thinks T… Steve Case on Amazing Night AndyG55 on Pea-Brained President Thinks T… AndyG55 on Pea-Brained President Thinks T… AndyG55 on Pea-Brained President Thinks T… Colorado Wellington on Coldest March Night Ever? Colorado Wellington on Coldest March Night Ever? Ian Billing on Propaganda – Not Sc… Windsong on Pea-Brained President Thinks T… Robert Austin on Pea-Brained President Thinks T…