The Senate’s top watchdog on government waste, in a new report Thursday, said taxpayer money has gone to fund such programs as Jell-O wrestling at the South Pole, testing shrimp’s exercise ability on a treadmill and a laundry-folding robot, all funded by the National Science Foundation.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, said he identified more than $3 billion in mismanagement at NSF, ranging from questionable studies to exorbitant operating costs, and in some cases duplication by the science agency of operations performed by other agencies.
At a time when the federal government is struggling with record deficits and bumping up against its borrowing limit, Mr. Coburn said the agency is a prime example of the kinds of spending taxpayers should no longer tolerate.
“There is little, if any, obvious scientific benefit to some NSF projects, such as a YouTube rap video, a review of event ticket prices on stubhub.com, a ‘robot hoedown and rodeo,’ or a virtual recreation of the 1964/65 New York World’s Fair,” Mr. Coburn said in a letter to taxpayers he wrote introducing the 73-page report, documented by more than 350 footnotes.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- The Beauty Of Green, Unreliable, Expensive, Environmentally Destructive Energy
- Slowest Arctic Melt Season On Record Continues
- Stored Solar Energy In Colorado
- The 1945 Peace Process
- My Vote For Stupidest Human Alive
- Growing Coconuts In DC
- Reader Quiz
- Worse Than The Ku Klux Klan
- The Hansen Effect
- President Obama’s Earth Day Visit To Florida
- California Building A $70 Billion Amusement Park – “Train To Nowhere”
- NCDC Hiding The Decline In US Winter Temperature
- 1970 – Scientists Blamed Low Antarctic Sea Ice Extent On CO2
- Reader Survey
- Planet Destroying Aircraft On Earth Day
- Celebrating 50 Years Of Progressive Rule In The UK
- Gun Free Maryland
- Plan Your Northwest Passage Voyage Today
- Twenty Years Since The Oklahoma City Bombing
- It Must Have Been Spring – But It’s Over Now
- Susanna’s Question Answered
- Russia Sells Missiles To Iran – Kerry Heads To The Arctic
- Excellent News From Earth Day
- My Washington Journal
- Scientists Solve The Solar Energy Storage Problem
Robertv on The 1945 Peace Process Morgan Wright on My Vote For Stupidest Human… Jimmy Haigh on The 1945 Peace Process splashhhh on The 1945 Peace Process splashhhh on The 1945 Peace Process AndyG55 on My Vote For Stupidest Human… stevengoddard on My Vote For Stupidest Human… ralphcramdo on My Vote For Stupidest Human… ralphcramdo on My Vote For Stupidest Human… Andy DC on Worse Than The Ku Klux Kl…