The Great Storm of 1703 was the most severe storm or natural disaster ever recorded in the southern part of Great Britain. It affected southern England and the English Channel in the Kingdom of Great Britain. A 120-mph (193-km/h) “perfect hurricane”, it started on 24 November, and did not die down until 2 December 1703 (Old Style).
Observers at the time recorded barometric readings as low as 973 millibars (measured by William Derham in South Essex), but it has been suggested that the storm may have deepened to 950 millibars over the Midlands.
At sea, many ships (many returning from helping the King of Spain fight the French in the War of the Spanish Succession) were wrecked, including HMS Resolution at Pevensey and on the Goodwin Sands, HMS Stirling Castle, HMS Northumberland and HMS Restoration, with about 1,500 seamen killed particularly on the Goodwins. Between 8,000 – 15,000 lives were lost overall. The first Eddystone Lighthouse was destroyed on 27 November 1703 (Old Style), killing six occupants, including its builder Henry Winstanley. The number of oak trees lost in the New Forest alone was 4,000.
On the Thames, around 700 ships were heaped together in the Pool of London, the section downstream from London Bridge. HMS Vanguard was wrecked at Chatham. HMS Association was blown from Harwich to Gothenburg in Sweden before way could be made back to England.
In London, the lead roofing was blown off Westminster Abbey and Queen Anne had to shelter in a cellar at St. James’s Palace to avoid collapsing chimneys and part of the roof.
There was extensive and prolonged flooding in the West Country, particularly around Bristol. At Wells, Bishop Richard Kidder was killed when two chimneystacks in the palace fell on the bishop and his wife, asleep in bed. This same storm blew in part of the great west window in Wells Cathedral. Major damage occurred to the south-west tower of Llandaff Cathedral.
A recently discovered contemporary diary written by a witness in rural Worcestershire describes in richly descriptive language the damaging emotional and psychological effects of the storm. The storm, unprecedented in ferocity and duration, was generally reckoned by witnesses to represent the anger of God-—in recognition of the “crying sins of this nation”, the government declared 19 January 1704 a day of fasting, saying it “loudly calls for the deepest and most solemn humiliation of our people”. It remained a frequent topic of moralizing in sermons well into the nineteenth century.
Following the storm’s destruction of the first Eddystone Lighthouse (in which the first architect was lost), John Rudyard was contracted to build the second lighthouse on the site.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Dr. Bill Gray Responds To Pope Francis
- White House Demonstrates That They Are Complete Morons – Once Again
- Hispanic Leaders Angry Don Trump Said Many Illegal Aliens Are Criminals
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Approaching Highest Extent Since At Least 2004
- Polar Bears Granted A Reprieve
- All Lies, All The Time
- Increasing Is Decreasing
- July 1896 Heatwave Killed Birds
- Bill Gates Says The Cost Of Switching To Wind And Solar Would Be “Beyond Astronomical”
- Arctic To Be Ice-Free By July 1
- My St Francis Epiphany
- Today’s Climate Morons
- The Rhone Glacier Then And Now
- Glaciers Shrank Thousands Of Feet Before 1902
- There Are No Qualified Atmospheric Scientists In Texas
- US Climate Getting Less Extreme
- The Symptoms Of Global Warming And Global Cooling Are Identical
- Forest Fires Were Much More Common During The Little Ice Age
- Another Smoking Gun Of Incompetence By Climate Scientists
- Children’s Lives Don’t Matter
- Things We Need To Ban
- Summer Temperatures In Greenland Have Plummeted To Record Lows
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Highest In A Decade
- Huffington Post Vying For Stupidest Article Ever
- Screaming Therapy For The Arctic
Brian H on President Obama Hoping To Cut… D. Self on Hispanic Leaders Angry Don Tru… D. Self on Hispanic Leaders Angry Don Tru… darrylb on White House Demonstrates That… Chewer on White House Demonstrates That… darrylb on White House Demonstrates That… Scott on Arctic Sea Ice Extent Approach… Caleb on Arctic Sea Ice Extent Approach… Andy DC on Dr. Bill Gray Responds To Pope… AndyG55 on Dr. Bill Gray Responds To Pope…