The Great Storm of 1703 was the most severe storm or natural disaster ever recorded in the southern part of Great Britain. It affected southern England and the English Channel in the Kingdom of Great Britain. A 120-mph (193-km/h) “perfect hurricane”, it started on 24 November, and did not die down until 2 December 1703 (Old Style).
Observers at the time recorded barometric readings as low as 973 millibars (measured by William Derham in South Essex), but it has been suggested that the storm may have deepened to 950 millibars over the Midlands.
At sea, many ships (many returning from helping the King of Spain fight the French in the War of the Spanish Succession) were wrecked, including HMS Resolution at Pevensey and on the Goodwin Sands, HMS Stirling Castle, HMS Northumberland and HMS Restoration, with about 1,500 seamen killed particularly on the Goodwins. Between 8,000 – 15,000 lives were lost overall. The first Eddystone Lighthouse was destroyed on 27 November 1703 (Old Style), killing six occupants, including its builder Henry Winstanley. The number of oak trees lost in the New Forest alone was 4,000.
On the Thames, around 700 ships were heaped together in the Pool of London, the section downstream from London Bridge. HMS Vanguard was wrecked at Chatham. HMS Association was blown from Harwich to Gothenburg in Sweden before way could be made back to England.
In London, the lead roofing was blown off Westminster Abbey and Queen Anne had to shelter in a cellar at St. James’s Palace to avoid collapsing chimneys and part of the roof.
There was extensive and prolonged flooding in the West Country, particularly around Bristol. At Wells, Bishop Richard Kidder was killed when two chimneystacks in the palace fell on the bishop and his wife, asleep in bed. This same storm blew in part of the great west window in Wells Cathedral. Major damage occurred to the south-west tower of Llandaff Cathedral.
A recently discovered contemporary diary written by a witness in rural Worcestershire describes in richly descriptive language the damaging emotional and psychological effects of the storm. The storm, unprecedented in ferocity and duration, was generally reckoned by witnesses to represent the anger of God-—in recognition of the “crying sins of this nation”, the government declared 19 January 1704 a day of fasting, saying it “loudly calls for the deepest and most solemn humiliation of our people”. It remained a frequent topic of moralizing in sermons well into the nineteenth century.
Following the storm’s destruction of the first Eddystone Lighthouse (in which the first architect was lost), John Rudyard was contracted to build the second lighthouse on the site.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Obama Believes That All Weather Is Caused By Climate Change
- Brain Damage And Democrats
- “May God Bless The United States of America”
- Make Sure Your Vote Counted
- The 97% Consensus
- Climate Alarmists Hate The Planet
- My NCDC Data Tampering Prediction For New York
- Coldest Start To The Year On Record In The Northeast US
- Bill McKibben Takes The Climate Stupid Award For The Evening
- If The Data Doesn’t Match The Theory, Change The Data
- What Makes This Blog Different
- Latest News From The Biggest Liar In The History Of The World
- Obama’s Love For America
- Two Peas In The Same Pod
- My Promise, In Exchange For Your Vote
- Super Secret Spy Cams Show Illegal Global Warming Refugees Streaming Into New Mexico
- Understanding Climate Science
- Declining Expert Credibility Update
- More Arctic Sea Ice Than 1922
- Just When You Thought Scientists Couldn’t Possibly Get Any Stupider
- Basic Physics For Clueless Climate Scientists
- Hottest Year Ever Update
- Certain Obama Voters
- No, I Can’t Promise You An Obamaphone
- Being A Progressive Means Never Having To Tell The Truth
sully on Coldest Start To The Year On R… Mike D on Obama Believes That All Weathe… DD More on Bill McKibben Takes The Climat… JeffK on Obama Believes That All Weathe… DD More on Obama Believes That All Weathe… D. Self on Brain Damage And Democrat… D. Self on Obama Believes That All Weathe… Dan on Make Sure Your Vote Count… Gary H on Obama Believes That All Weathe… 1957chev on Obama Believes That All Weathe…