TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?
As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Rumors Of The Demise Of Climate Science Have Not Been Exaggerated
- Comment From Eric Steig
- Barack Obama – The Cyclone Expert
- Chaos And Breakdown Of Society Matters
- The Law Of Unintended Consequences
- My CO2 Undercover Investigation
- Obama And Kerry Have Saved The Planet
- Guardian Goes Full Orwell
- No Scientific Discussion Allowed At The Guardian
- State Of The Climate Scam Report
- Obama Recycling The Identical Nonsense From 30 Years Ago
- Dinner Is Served In 15 Minutes
- Political Opportunities Matter
- It Has Nothing To Do With CO2
- Churchill 1899 – Islam Will Take Over After Christianity And Science Are Destroyed
- Tractors Vs. Carbon Taxes
- The Straw That Broke The Camel’s Back
- Lenin’s Global Cooling Birthday – 1970
- President Obama To Save The Everglades From Global Warming
- More Global Warming On Earth Day
- Coal Fired Carbon Pollution In Colorado
- This Isn’t The Hybrid You Are Looking For
- Aggie Joke Update
- Latest Imagery From The Australian Permanent Drought
- Rebuilding The Berlin Wall On Pennsylvania Avenue
Chris Barron on Chaos And Breakdown Of Society… Gail Combs on Comment From Eric Steig Ben Vorlich on Comment From Eric Steig Chris Barron on Chaos And Breakdown Of Society… gator69 on US Government Warns That The A… Chris Barron on Chaos And Breakdown Of Society… Jimmy Haigh on Comment From Eric Steig Gail Combs on Chaos And Breakdown Of Society… Penthouse Sidebar (@… on Comment From Eric Steig gator69 on Global Warming To Destroy Anta…