TIME Magazine June 1974: Another Ice Age?
As they review the bizarre and unpredictable weather pattern of the past several years, a growing number of scientists are beginning to suspect that many seemingly contradictory meteorological fluctuations are actually part of a global climatic upheaval. However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time, when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age.
Telltale signs are everywhere —from the unexpected persistence and thickness of pack ice in the waters around Iceland to the southward migration of a warmth-loving creature like the armadillo from the Midwest.Since the 1940s the mean global temperature has dropped about 2.7° F. Although that figure is at best an estimate, it is supported by other convincing data. When Climatologist George J. Kukla of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory and his wife Helena analyzed satellite weather data for the Northern Hemisphere, they found that the area of the ice and snow cover had suddenly increased by 12% in 1971 and the increase has persisted ever since. Areas of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic, for example, were once totally free of any snow in summer; now they are covered year round.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Obama Believes That All Weather Is Caused By Climate Change
- Brain Damage And Democrats
- “May God Bless The United States of America”
- Make Sure Your Vote Counted
- The 97% Consensus
- Climate Alarmists Hate The Planet
- My NCDC Data Tampering Prediction For New York
- Coldest Start To The Year On Record In The Northeast US
- Bill McKibben Takes The Climate Stupid Award For The Evening
- If The Data Doesn’t Match The Theory, Change The Data
- What Makes This Blog Different
- Latest News From The Biggest Liar In The History Of The World
- Obama’s Love For America
- Two Peas In The Same Pod
- My Promise, In Exchange For Your Vote
- Super Secret Spy Cams Show Illegal Global Warming Refugees Streaming Into New Mexico
- Understanding Climate Science
- Declining Expert Credibility Update
- More Arctic Sea Ice Than 1922
- Just When You Thought Scientists Couldn’t Possibly Get Any Stupider
- Basic Physics For Clueless Climate Scientists
- Hottest Year Ever Update
- Certain Obama Voters
- No, I Can’t Promise You An Obamaphone
- Being A Progressive Means Never Having To Tell The Truth
Colorado Wellington on Climate Skepticism Is Now… Disillusioned on Make Sure Your Vote Count… omanuel on Obama Believes That All Weathe… policycritic on “May God Bless The Unite… policycritic on “May God Bless The Unite… policycritic on “May God Bless The Unite… policycritic on “May God Bless The Unite… mogur2013 on Obama Believes That All Weathe… Greg on Make Sure Your Vote Count… Fred from Canuckista… on Make Sure Your Vote Count…