Today’s front page in cold Ontario
Canadian communists are in almost as much trouble as the ones in the White House. They cancelled a couple of gas fired power plants in order to save the world from global warming, at the cost of more than half a billion dollars to Canadian taxpayers. When they realized they were in trouble, they illegally deleted their E-mails.
Since Al Gore has been trashing Canada, again, while on his latest book tour, today I will trash Al Gore.
1. While preaching energy austerity for everyone else in order, he claims, to save the planet from man-made climate change, Gore personally lives a luxurious, jet-setting, carbon dioxide-consuming lifestyle, including multi-million-dollar homes and never-ending, first-class, globe-trotting. Telling others to “do as I say, not as I do” – is the classic definition of a hypocrite and it describes Gore to a T.
2. While constantly denouncing the evils of the fossil fuel industry, Gore recently sold his Current TV for $500 million (including a reported personal profit of $70 million) to Al Jazeera, the international news service funded by the oil-and- natural-gas-rich Arab emirate of Qatar. See the definition of a hypocrite, above.
3. Gore compares Canada’s oil sands to an “open sewer,” despite knowing full well the single greatest driver of man-made climate change in North America today, if the theory of anthropogenic global warming is correct, is America’s use of coal, particularly to generate electricity. By contrast, Canada’s use of coal is relatively insignificant, given that, unlike the U.S., most of our electricity generation comes from hydro and nuclear power, which do not emit greenhouse gases. Even prominent Canadian climate scientists who are no fans of the Stephen Harper Conservative government, have acknowledged development of the oil sands is an insignificant contributor to global warming, and that the global use of coal, particularly to generate electricity, is by far the greatest threat to the climate.
4. Gore and Bill Clinton are mainly responsible for the fact the U.S. never implemented the Kyoto accord on global greenhouse gas emissions. After the Clinton-Gore White House agreed to Kyoto in principle, it never tried to ratify it, the legal measure required to bring it into effect. This was due to the fact the U.S. Senate voted unanimously, 95 to 0, to refuse to ratify Kyoto until it established mandatory emission cuts for China, India and the rest of the developing world. Instead of working to build political support for Kyoto, Clinton and Gore adopted the Senate’s position opposing Kyoto as their own. That continued to be U.S. policy through the George Bush and Barack Obama administrations, right up to the expiration of the Kyoto protocol at the end of 2012. Hypocritical North American environmentalists and Canadian opposition politicians who constantly denounce Canada for legally withdrawing from the Kyoto protocol in 2011, never mention the U.S., starting with the Clinton-Gore administration, never even joined Kyoto.
5. While Gore routinely bashes the Harper Conservatives, in 2009 he said in Toronto that then Liberal Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty’s green energy program was “widely recognized … as the single best green energy (program) on the North American continent.” In fact, McGuinty’s green energy program has been an utter disaster, saddling Ontarians with billions of dollars of extra costs on their hydro bills for generations to come, according to Ontario’s non-partisan Auditor General, as well as costing thousands of jobs. McGuinty’s Green Energy Act took away the rights of citizens to object to industrial wind turbines being rammed down their throats across Ontario. At the same time, the McGuinty government caved in to political pressure and cancelled gas plants in Mississauga and Oakville (also part of the Liberals’ green energy program), costing taxpayers at least $585 million, in order to save a few Liberal seats in the last election.
6. Gore’s 2006 film An Inconvenient Truth, for which he won the Nobel Prize and an Academy Award, is a train wreck when it comes to scientific accuracy. It wrongly projects massive sea level rises which no credible scientific body supports and constantly confuses “weather” and “climate.” It inaccurately blames individual weather events, such as specific hurricanes, on man-made global warming, and misleadingly links anthropogenic climate change solely to such hot weather phenomena as heat waves and droughts. In fact, climate experts say, global warming can also cause record snowfalls and cold snaps. Finally, the movie glosses over the enormous threat to human health and well-being of suddenly moving industrialized economies off fossil fuels, and of preventing developing nations from using fossil fuels to industrialize.
Indeed, the real inconvenient truth about Al Gore is that he is a carbon-spewing hypocrite who has been getting a free ride – particularly from an uncritical Canadian media – for far too long.