What would happen to global warming if the sun quit producing sunspots for a few decades?
The question is of more than passing interest to climate scientists as they ponder the prospect that the sun may be about to enter such a period.
The coming flip of the sun’s magnetic field in a few months marks the peak of the current sunspot cycle – one that has produced the fewest sunspots in at least 100 years, and perhaps the last 200 years.
Peering at trends – or in some cases, the lack of them – in the sun’s behavior during the run-up to the current cycle’s peak, some solar physicists increasingly are considering the possibility that the sun may be on the verge of a “grand solar minimum,” comparable to a 70-year period running from the early 17th century into the early 18th century, when the sun produced no sunspots at all.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Dr. Bill Gray Responds To Pope Francis
- White House Demonstrates That They Are Complete Morons – Once Again
- Hispanic Leaders Angry Don Trump Said Many Illegal Aliens Are Criminals
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Approaching Highest Extent Since At Least 2004
- Polar Bears Granted A Reprieve
- All Lies, All The Time
- Increasing Is Decreasing
- July 1896 Heatwave Killed Birds
- Bill Gates Says The Cost Of Switching To Wind And Solar Would Be “Beyond Astronomical”
- Arctic To Be Ice-Free By July 1
- My St Francis Epiphany
- Today’s Climate Morons
- The Rhone Glacier Then And Now
- Glaciers Shrank Thousands Of Feet Before 1902
- There Are No Qualified Atmospheric Scientists In Texas
- US Climate Getting Less Extreme
- The Symptoms Of Global Warming And Global Cooling Are Identical
- Forest Fires Were Much More Common During The Little Ice Age
- Another Smoking Gun Of Incompetence By Climate Scientists
- Children’s Lives Don’t Matter
- Things We Need To Ban
- Summer Temperatures In Greenland Have Plummeted To Record Lows
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Highest In A Decade
- Huffington Post Vying For Stupidest Article Ever
- Screaming Therapy For The Arctic