LOS ANGELES — In a famously left-leaning Hollywood, where Democratic fund-raisers fill the social calendar, Friends of Abe stands out as a conservative group that bucks the prevailing political winds.
A collection of perhaps 1,500 right-leaning players in the entertainment industry, Friends of Abe keeps a low profile and fiercely protects its membership list, to avoid what it presumes would result in a sort of 21st-century blacklist, albeit on the other side of the partisan spectrum.
Now the Internal Revenue Service is reviewing the group’s activities in connection with its application for tax-exempt status. Last week, federal tax authorities presented the group with a 10-point request for detailed information about its meetings with politicians like Paul D. Ryan, Thaddeus McCotter and Herman Cain, among other matters, according to people briefed on the inquiry.
Those people said that the application had been under review for roughly two years, and had at one point included a demand — which was not met — for enhanced access to the group’s security-protected website, which would have revealed member names. Tax experts said that an organization’s membership list is information that would not typically be required. The I.R.S. already had access to the site’s basic levels, a request it considers routine for applications for 501(c)(3) nonprofit status.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Predicting The Effect Of Volcanoes On Global Warming
- Understanding Sea Level Rise
- Vatican Scientists Explain The Fundamental Mechanism Of Climate
- Vatican Takes A Strong Stance Against Heresy
- Breaking News From Baltimore
- Looking Forward To Flying Into Baltimore Tomorrow
- Credible Climate Science Is Now A Thing Of The Past
- Rumors Of The Demise Of Climate Science Have Not Been Exaggerated
- Comment From Eric Steig
- Barack Obama – The Cyclone Expert
- Chaos And Breakdown Of Society Matters
- The Law Of Unintended Consequences
- My CO2 Undercover Investigation
- Obama And Kerry Have Saved The Planet
- Guardian Goes Full Orwell
- No Scientific Discussion Allowed At The Guardian
- State Of The Climate Scam Report
- Obama Recycling The Identical Nonsense From 30 Years Ago
- Dinner Is Served In 15 Minutes
- Political Opportunities Matter
- It Has Nothing To Do With CO2
- Churchill 1899 – Islam Will Take Over After Christianity And Science Are Destroyed
- Tractors Vs. Carbon Taxes
- The Straw That Broke The Camel’s Back
- Lenin’s Global Cooling Birthday – 1970