Elephants are now barely larger than soccer balls, because warm climates like Africa make animals shrink.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Toto Has Moved!
- Cooling Nuuk
- Escape The Heat At Your Local Movie Theater
- Charles Butler Interview – May 2, 2016
- Massive Greenland Fraud Is Rapidly Growing
- More Detail On The NSIDC Disappearing Ice
- 1995 IPCC Report Showed No Troposphere Warming From 1958 To 1995
- More On The NSIDC Disappearing Ice
- Climate Hustle Today
- On The Air Monday
- NOAA Quadrupling Radiosonde Temperatures By Data Tampering
- Skiing Is A Thing Of The Past
- Alarmist Brains Depleted Of Oxygen
- Climate Scam Being Driven By Politicians/Actors/Journalists
- 1905 : Valdez, Alaska Relocated Due To Glacial Melting
- Today’s Climate Fraud Winners – Science News
- Most Influential Climate Denier On Twitter
- SCIENCE : 230 Years Of Blaming White Men For Climate Change
- Battling Climate Misinformation In Santa Fe
- 1906 : Belief In Climate Change Is Due To Defective Memories
- Oswald’s Rifle?
- The Arctic Is Ice Free – How Can Sea Ice Be Declining?
- Climate Hustle Next Monday – One Night Only
- The Surface Temperature Record Is A Farce
- NASA – Doubling Sea Level Rise By Data Tampering
Join 1,961 other subscribers
The article negates its own headline. Higher temperature increases both growth and development, but not at the same rate. Hence, in this case, smaller size at maturity, but measured as mass over time they are larger. The consequence would be earlier sexual maturity and therefore larger population size (and probably BIOMASS). there is no link to the paper to see if this data is there.
The evolution of warm blooded mammals means that the two factors remain coupled and large mammals inhabit all climate zones.
Although the team’s findings disagree with earlier assertions of many macro-ecologists, they clearly explain the smaller sizes associated with the ‘temperature-size rule’. They hope their work will help those investigating the potential impacts of climate change on the natural world.
Who made up the rule? I guess the dinosaurs did not take that class. And it took 40 years to come to this conclusion?
40 million years was that ??
By gathering together more than 40 years of research studying the effect of temperature on these organisms, their results show that growth rate (how fast mass is accumulated) and development rate (how fast an individual passes through its life stages) are consistently decoupled in a range of species, with development being more sensitive to temperature than growth.
I want one!!!!
Limited habitat and food appear to be the primary driver on determining size. Pygmy Mammoths, Pygmy Mastodons, Pygmy elephants and Pygmy hippos all evolved in places where habitat and food were limited. Mostly on Islands.
Bingo! Access to food is the key driver in the size of fauna, and flora.
And under use tends to create pygmy brains…about the size of peas.
Well, it’s good to know that you are now comfortable talking about your issues in public, you are a hero to many. Best of luck!
The cold tends to shrink my animal…embarrassingly at times.
Global warming shrank the chicken of the great American naturalist, climate change expert and wilderness ranger Brian Ettling:
I’m guessing that weak ankles precluded Bri’s first career choice, a dancer on Broadway.
The weak ankles probably go with his limp wrists. ☺
So that smaller, heavier, more compact humans evolve in Northern climates and taller lankier lighter humans in Southern climates which fits what I learned in anthropology is no longer valid? More body surface area to get rid of heat by surface convection and sweating or larger lungs to get rid of excess heat by transpiration evaporation is no longer needed as the evil Mann made heat can only be dissipated by reducing the surface area? Where did these people learn science.
What makes you think they are capable of learning?
Science…that’s that wibbly-wobbly stuff best left to unbelievers and deniers…it’s a matter of faith, after all.
And they call this drivel science?
Maybe we should chip in and send these idiots to the wilds in the Congo to take daily measurements of temperature and wildlife.
Giving it the accolade of drivel is perhaps too good for this rubbish.
Th temperature/size rule only applies to cold blooded organisms did I not read on the first line of the September article?
Now its squirrels are to blame
It is only natural for nuts to fear the machinations of squirrels.